Assistance for Singapore PR/Citizenship

Re-Entry Permit: What You Need To Know As A Singapore PR

What You Need To Know As A Singapore PR

Is your Singapore Permanent Residence (PR) application a success? In that case, congratulations are in order! However, as a newly-minted Singapore PR, it is essential for you to understand the regulations associated with being a PR. For instance, while your permanent residency remains valid for the rest of your life or until you choose to forfeit it, your re-entry permit (REP) expires every five years, sometimes sooner.

How does this affect you? Well, if you plan on travelling abroad, such as for a business trip, to visit your relatives, or for further studies, you will require a valid REP to re-enter Singapore. Without a current permit, you could risk losing your PR status. So, if you have plans to travel overseas in the near future, this article is for you.

What Is A Re-Entry Permit?

The Singapore PR re-entry permit is issued to Singapore PRs who leave the country or remain overseas for an extended period. Those who travel overseas or stay abroad with an expired REP stand to lose their PR status. Upon entry back into Singapore, you will be assessed along with the current re-entry requirements, and you will have to re-apply for Singapore PR once again.

How Do I Renew My Re-Entry Permit?

Electronic Re Entry Permit System

The good news is that you do not need to maintain your REP if you are not travelling overseas. Nevertheless, we recommend keeping track of the validity of your REP regularly, even if you do not have any current travel plans, as it is recommended to submit your renewal application at least two months before your REP becomes invalid. After all, you do not want to be in a situation where you have to be abroad on short notice, but your REP is expiring or has expired.

The renewal process is straightforward if your REP remains valid. Just submit your application form online via the Electronic Re-Entry Permit System (e-REP) with the relevant documentation. However, you must schedule an e-appointment with ICA if your REP has expired, as the renewal must be done in person. 

If you are overseas at the time of application, you may submit your renewal via the e-REP service using your SingPass account. For those without a SingPass or access to the internet, you can apply through:

  • a Singapore Overseas Mission
  • a representative of a foreign government performing consular functions on Singapore’s behalf in that country
  • a local representative in Singapore

Please note that you must submit your overseas application at least two months before your current REP expires to allow sufficient time for processing.

What Are The Criteria And Eligibility?

To apply for or renew your re-entry permit, you must be a Singapore PR and hold a valid travel document with at least three months’ validity. In addition, you are required to submit the following supporting documents:

  • Complete application form 6 (can be found on ICA’s website);
  • Singapore blue identity card or SAF 11B/Home Team National Service Identity Card (full-time military personnel);
  • Proof of employment in Singapore;
  • Highest academic qualification achieved and country where the qualification was attained;
  • For applicants who obtain PR status under the sponsorship of their Singapore Citizen or PR spouse, they must produce their original marriage certificate and their spouse’s identity card;
  • A dependent PR under 21 years old must produce their travel document and their parents’ Singapore identity cards.

You are not required to submit additional documents unless otherwise requested by ICA. However, please note that any document not in English must be translated. ICA only accepts a translated copy provided by the Embassy of the document-issuing country or a local notary public or a privately translated copy attested by the Embassy of the document-issuing country or notarised by a local notary public.

It is essential to note that the ICA may reject your REP renewal for various reasons. Generally, the circumstances may be due to but are not limited to prolonged periods spent overseas after receiving a successful PR application. It is also possible for the ICA to renew your REP for a shorter period of time than the usual five years.

As a Singapore PR, keep what we shared in mind to ensure you do not encounter any complications upon re-entering Singapore after travelling abroad. For those still in the midst of applying for Singapore PR, this information will also be relevant to you once you obtain your PR status.

If you require assistance with your PR application, look no further than Singapore Immigration Partners. Our PR application agency is familiar with the ins and outs of the process and can provide helpful advice to improve your chances of securing PR status. Contact us today to learn how we can assist you with your PR application.

Evaluate Your Chances